Thursday, May 23, 2013

Weekly Pinterest Addiction...Eco-Friendly!

Not only does Pinterest feed my dessert addiction (where else can you find an Oreo Red Velvet Truffle Brownie???????), but my poor pitiful yard may get a little attention out of my early morning browsing.

Before lil man, I spent hours in my yard, enjoying digging in the dirt, planting flowers, rearranging the stones and plants, and just being outdoors. Okay, maybe not hours, but pretty darn close. But, in the last two years, that in touch with nature time has gone to the wayside.
Until lil man discovered how much he loves it. He is my boy, after all!

So much changes when you have a baby. I've become more and more concerned with things that I may have taken for granted before. I've always been a recycle and try to do best for the environment kinda girl. But, even I admit that there were more things I could've done.

Pesticides/chemicals scare the bejeezus out of me, not only for my pup, but for my son. And then, there's the whole bee situation. I used something I thought was safe before, but now, I'm not so sure.

Enter Pinterest! After doing a quick search I found a "recipe" for a non-toxic weed killer, which I did a bit of back-up research on, as well.

White vinegar, table salt, and dish soap. Easy, safe, and much cheaper.





Most of the info I scoured recommended applying the mixture (I cut down the "recipe" to a pint of vinegar, 1/8 cup salt, and dash of dish soap) about three times, in the early morning, for the best results.

I wanted to get pictures of my before and after, but I was too anxious to get to spraying. I can tell you it worked just as well, if not better than the times I used Round-Up.

But this time, I feel so much better about having playtime, for all of us, outside!!

I loved the safe/eco-friendly aspect (to which I was playfully teased), and the husband loved the cheap (to which I playfully teased back).

No comments:

Post a Comment