Thursday, January 29, 2015

Mommy Tips...Frugal Snack Time

Another plus side to frugality as a mommy has popped up. I've started to make a few things at home rather than buy them at the store, not only saving money, but I know what is in things plus it turns out to be very environmentally friendly!

Once I had my boys, I started paying more attention to what we were putting in (and on) our bodies. And even before, when I was pregnant. Certain things started going the way of a desolate, deserted road.

No more artificial sweeteners, less processed food (single ingredients, or at least ones that I could pronounce!), no more butter substitutes, as few artificial colors as possible...

In that quest, I discovered how wonderful Pinterest can be for all things DIY (I'm currently researching a pallet project).

Here is one of my favorite recipes that I've added my own twist to. At my house, chewy trail mix granola bars are like gold. For a busy mommy (especially while breastfeeding!), a quick, healthy snack is a must. Plus, my husband takes them to work, or as a on the go snack!

CHEWY TRAIL MIX GRANOLA BARS

1/3 cup honey
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup crisped rice cereal
1/4 flax seeds
1/2 sliced or crushed almonds
Generous dash of coarse sea salt
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 chopped dried cherries
1/2 raisins
1/4 mini chocolate chips or finely chopped dark chocolate
Coconut oil (to "grease" the pan)

1.) Preheat oven to 350.
2.) Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place oats, flax seed, and almonds on, evenly.
3.) Bake for five minutes, stir. Continue baking for five minutes, lightly toasting to a golden brown (not too dark)



4.) In medium bowl, mix cherries, raisins, rice cereal, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract.



5.) In small heavy sauce pan, combine honey, brown sugar, and butter on medium heat until sugar dissolves.



6.) Pour warm, toasted oat mixture into bowl with cherries, etc. Use the foil to line your baking/brownie pan. Lightly grease with coconut oil.

7.) Carefully pour in warm honey mixture, stirring to ensure everything getsvcoated. Add in almost all chocolate (I like to save some to press into the top as well). Don't worry about the chocolate melting, it will help with the chewy factor!

8.) Spread mixture evenly into lined baking pan. Use a bit of the coconut oil on the back of a spatula and PRESS DOWN EVENLY. The better you press, the better the stay together factor. Press in remaining chocolate.

9.) Refrigerate for two hours. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for about a week and a half. If they last that long!

I personally love all the bits that fall off...perfect for greek yogurt.

Keep in mind, the possibilities are endless. Use whatever extras you like! I used coconut flax granola, dried berries with white chocolate...the best part is the cost. We would spend eight to ten dollars a week...now we spend that in a month!!

Enjoy!!


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment