Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Try A Little Compassion...

I've been that mom. You know the one. She's trying desperately to calm her two year old while hoping the three month old stays asleep peacefully.

I often wonder when and why we loose our compassion. At one point, every parent has had a similar moment. In very simple terms, a two year old (or a three month old, for that matter) does not have the capacity to understand why some things happen. Patience really isn't an option for them, because they're still figuring these things put. And it isn't their fault, or their mother's.

If I can, I try to schedule outings around naps, meal times, or "Frozen" viewings. But, there are times when I just have to do an errand (like the dreaded I thought daddy picked up diapers last, or we need dinner NOW). And, though I try to keep my little ones happy, sometimes they don't find errands as exciting as the zoo or a choo choo ride. The best case scenario would be to leave, maybe because they are tired or just don't like the snacks mommy has packed for our trip. But, sometimes things just have to get done.

Remember, these are little young ones who have little patience, and parents who are, more often than not, doing their best. When someone makes a snide remark, I often try to hold my tongue because they don't really know how my day has been. However, I have said something at times, met sometimes with compassion and sadly without understanding.

The compassion I've recently learned, is contagious...scientifically proven. So, the next time you see that mom trying her best or that two year old crying...try a smile. It might make both of your days better.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment