Thursday, April 17, 2014

And Baby Makes Four

Almost three weeks into bundle of joy number two, I've come to realize a few things. A few new, and a few that I'd somehow conveniently forgotten.

Funny thing about things...they attract other things. Intangible, tangible, imaginary, real. And, in the case of post-baby number two while having number one around, at the most interesting moments. Like in the middle of the night, when no one is actually sleeping.



1.) A queen size bed just doesn't cut it anymore. Between the bed hogging husband, sprawling and kicking two year old who refuses to sleep in his bed (and sneaks into your bed at varying times but usually two a.m.), the mountains of pillows, and attempting to nurse a newborn, I'm incredibly thankful our golden retriever was never permitted to join us. At least she has her own bed, all to herself.

2.) My house will never be quiet again. And if it is, something is going down. Silence equals disaster.

3.) Toddlers are like drunk college students. So, right now, my loud and clumsy lil man us just preparing me for his freshman year.

4.) My house will never be truly clean again. From matchbox cars, random snacks, discarded sippy cups, leggos, and kitchen utensils, there is always something to clean up.

4.) Mommy instincts vs. Daddy instincts are not even close. Mommy instinct is feed, change diaper, comfort, and do it all NOW. Daddy...now, their instinct is to try to figure out what to do. (Unless it is catch the falling baby.) Or, watching the baby after mommy has changed, fed, and comforted him...then put him in the swing to sleep. And forgot waking up in the middle of the night to help without being practically yelled at (a la The Change Up). I get it, no mind reading. But I'd love to once, have Daddy wake up with me to change the diaper before he gets his midnight snack. Sigh. Without getting all mad to get him to do so.

5.) Laundry, like the dishes, will be never-ending. Good thing I love the smell of laundry...and we have a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. This also adds to the whole house never clean again give.

6.) Things will never go as planned. This is actually my favorite one. Because, in all honesty, it is all in your attitude. Plans are boring. But being prepared can be helpful. If you accept this, things can be actually kind of fun. Sure, there are things you have to do. And they will get done. Eventually.

7.) Children learn things incredibly fast, and usually after seeing things only once. My two year old lets the dog out, has locked me out of the house (and taken the screen out of a window so that I could get back in), and knows where my Marshmallow Crispy Oreo stash is. He also gives great hugs, helps change his baby brother's diaper, and feeds the cat.

8.) Bathroom time is no longer private or a sanctuary. The fact that I can get a shower some days is a miracle in and of itself.

9.) I've never been happier. I worried when I was pregnant with number two that I couldn't possibly love another baby the way I loved my lil man. But, the great thing about love is that it doesn't just stay the same size then divide...it grows.

I'm sure the list will grow every day. But who's counting?

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment